Business & Corporate Law
We are passionate about helping business owners and entrepreneurs be successful and our goal is for our services to add value to businesses, rather than merely being a necessary expense. We do this by seeking to help business owners understand the depth of legal complexities involved with tax planning, liability planning, employment issues, and much more.
Business Formations and Transactions
We assist our clients in choosing and creating appropriate and tax-efficient business structures, including corporations, limited liability companies, partnerships, nonprofit entities, and professional organizations. After formation, we regularly act as "outside" general counsel, addressing the wide range of legal needs of an emerging company and finding solutions so that our clients can grow and prosper.
We provide guidance and strategic assistance through the complexities of operating and growing a business, including the development of prudent corporate policies, director, manager and officer compliance, management and control issues, fiduciary duty matters, financing and venture capital transactions, contract negotiation, employment issues and ownership transition and succession planning.
Some common documents that we can assist you in drafting include:
- Ownership relationship documents, including partnership agreements, operating agreements, and buy-sell agreements
- Asset purchase agreement and stock purchase agreements
- Manufacturing, distribution, and reseller agreements
- Joint venture agreements and strategic alliance agreements
- Employee, consulting, and independent contractor agreements
- Professional services agreements
- Non-disclosure, non-solicitation, non-competition and assignment of inventions agreements
- Technology development and licensing agreements
- Financing and leasing agreements
- Web site user agreements
There are plenty of legal needs for a business after all of the initial founding documents are drafted and filed. We work with clients to ensure that business entities are properly maintained and remain in good standing. To accomplish that, we offer services on an as needed basis, or under a traditional retainer agreement whereby we are available to answer legal questions and give legal counsel to a business on an ongoing basis for a fixed monthly fee.
The tax implications of business transactions can be involved and complex. We approach tax problems as an opportunity for creative problem solving and planning. We will work to minimize your personal or business tax exposure and will work with you in confronting federal, state, or local tax audits, should you be faced with this unpleasant reality.